Garlic Knots- Delicious soft bread packed with garlic flavor and shaped like a knot. These garlic knots have been prepared with 80% Aashirvad multigrain flour and 20% refined flour. You can replace multigrain flour with whole wheat flour.
My son loves garlic bread. So, I keep on experimenting with healthy breads packed with garlic. These Garlic Knots complement pasta dishes very well.
Yields : 8 Garlic Knots
- 100 Gms. Whole Wheat Flour
- 25 Gms. Refined Flour
- 1 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 5 Gms. plus 10 Gms. Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Bread Seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp Chilli Flakes
- 1/2 Tsp Mixed Herbs Seasoning (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp Butter/ Olive Oil ( For Kneading)
- 1 Tbsp Butter (For Brushing)
- 90 Ml. Water
- Dissolve yeast along with 5 gms. sugar in 60 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 6-8 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover the yeast bowl or put it at a dark place.
- Transfer multigrain flour, refined flour, salt, remaining sugar and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Bring all ingredients together and add olive oil/butter.
- Knead a soft dough using above ingredients and remaining water. You might have to add more water, depending upon the quality of flour.
- Transfer dough to clean kitchen slab for further kneading.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 10-15 minutes. Gently poke the dough with your finger. If indentation fills quickly, it is an indication that dough has been sufficiently kneaded.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for dough to rise and double. It will take 1.5- 2 hours to double. Time will vary depending upon the warmth of place where dough is kept. You can put it inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Add chopped garlic, garlic bread seasoning, mixed herbs seasoning and chilli flakes. Mix by kneading dough a bit.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl for second rise. Wait for it to double.
- Again, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Dough is ready to be shaped.
- Divide dough into 8 equal parts. I used a kitchen scale for dividing the dough into equal portions so that all garlic knot pieces can be of same size.
- Place one portion on a flat surface and roll it with hands. Then just tie a simple knot with it. Roll should be of a length between 6-8 inches,
- Repeat with other portions and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Place the tray in a warm place and let garlic knots double in size.
- Brush them with milk and place the tray in oven.
- Bake garlic knots in a preheated oven at 180°C for 18-20 minutes.
- Brush them with melted butter and sprinkle mixed herbs seasoning.
- Transfer to a platter and serve them hot.